1. The gang was first spotted in one of this country's provinces by the RCMP at a lacrosse match. They spent 450 on refreshments, and then stole a boat.
2. The gang turned up here, where they were spotted eating Fish and Chips at a cafe in Cardiff. They apparently stayed in a flat which they rented for the time that they were there. For the flat, they spent 1100
3. The gang then travelled through the Chunnel and took a TGV to Strasbourg, the tickets costing a total of 1500
4. The gang next turned up in Flanders at a speech given by King Baudouin I. They apparently gorged them selves on waffles, for they charged a cafe bill of 2100
5. The gang then went north to Narvik and bought up a large supply of lutefisk and smalahode to take with them as they skiied cross-country. The total food and travel bill that they charged was $152.98 . How much in the local currency?
6. They crossed the border on their skis, and were soon spotted in Goteborg buying lots of warm clothing, for which they charged 6000
7. Next, the gang was spotted cruising on the autobahn in this country, decked out in new lederhosen, which they bought in Bavaria at a cost of $200 . How much in the local currency?
8. The gang next was seen in Catalonia on their way to Malaga, where they consumed massive quantities of gazpacho and attending several festivals. Altogether, during their stay here, they charged 150,000
9. The gang appeared in the Po River valley here and went down to Calabria, where they crossed over to Palermo. En route, the gang bought biscotti and large amounts of parmesan and mozarella at a total cost of 45,000.
10. The gang couldn't be found for some time until they appeared in Madras, wearing sarees that they had purchased at a cost of $175.17. How much in the local currency?
11. The gang headed east and escaped local police in samlors following a low speed chase in the city of Chiang Mai. The gang was very grateful to their samlor driver and after paying the fare, gave him a large tip for a total of 600
12. The gang stayed out of sight until they were spotted playing mah-jong in Kowloon. Gang members gambled and lost big at mah-jong and it cost them 3,300
13. The gang continued on to Pusan, where they spent 250,000 on Taekwondo lessons. They then left for
14. The city of Kobe, where they rode the bullet train the length of the island. Of course they charged the train tickets at a total cost of $212.89. How much in the local currency?
15. The gang was last seen here, bushwalking in the outback, with a large supply of camping equipment they had bought in Darwin at a cost of 60,000
Now, if you have figured out each country, monetary unit and have calculated correctly, you will have the honor of locating the gang and allowing for their capture. Plot the gangs route on a world map and give an accounting of how many American dollars they spent.
To calculate foreign currency amounts into American Dollars, take the amount of foreign currency spent and divide by the exchange rate. Current Exchange rates can be found in most major urban newspapers or at the following web sites:
Click here for exchange rates from August, 1997
2. United Kingdom
12. Hong Kong
13. South Korea
Currency Exchange Rates will vary over time so there is no answer key.